Thursday, 7 May 2015

President Jonathan Implicated In Contracts Scam

The contracts in question were said to have been awarded by the president to Messrs CTOW Terminal & Marine Services and Ibejige Services Limited, two unregistered ghost companies in defiance of due process.
The controversial contracts meant for the provision of  third party towage services (TPTS) at Warri and Onne ports pilotage districts have come under intense scrutiny following revelations by sources close to the Federal Ministry of Transport (FMOT) in Abuja that the award of the contracts by NPA to the two firms did not follow due process .
Added to the fact that the companies are not registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC), they also do not have a known address.
Finding by The Nation, indicates that the president’s approval for the contracts was contained in a letter last year to the NPA through the Federal Ministry of Transport on August 14, 2014.
The short duration of three days in which the approval was made has also raised suspicion  considering the bureaucracy that slows down such  transactions.
Speaking on the controversial contract, a senior official of the NPA said: “Was the Bureau of Public Enterprise (BPE) involved before the President gave his approval and the contract was awarded by NPA? What was the role of the supervising minister in this regard? Answers to these questions are very essential because if I am approving a contract to any company and my minister and the officials of the agency cannot verify for me whether the company is registered; then I don’t know what they are doing as the head of that organisation.
“If the President, who awarded the contract did not know, the Managing Director of NPA ought to seek confirmation from CAC and his head of legal department.
“With the award of this contract, the President, his minister and the sacked managing director of NPA have created a wrong impression before the in-coming administration that many other unregistered companies got multimillion dollar contracts under the out-going administration to siphon public fund.”
The controversies raised by the award of this contract appears to give credibility to the allegations by the All Progressives Congress (APC) a week ago that Goodluck Jonathan administration was involved in last last-minute looting of the nation’s resources through hurried recruitment into the public service and rushed privatisation of key financial institutions.

Public Officers Flee Nigeria For Fear Of The Unknown

Sequel to the handing over of power on May 29, 2015 by the present administration led by President Goodluck Jonathan to the President-elect Muhammadu Buhari, tension has begun to mount within the inner caucus of President Jonathan.
A couple of days ago, Buhari vowed to bring all corrupt politicians and public office holders, who have been a major yardstick bringing the country into a state of higgledy-piggledy, to justice.
This news has sent shivers down the spine of the corrupt officers as they obviously seem quiet with their activities unlike how they used to be.
Buhari, last week confirmed he received information that Public officers have started returning money into the coffers of government but however reiterated that he would not believe until he sees it.
I heard that some people have started refunding money, but I will not believe until I see it. His royal highness, the Emir of Kano, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi was removed from the Central bank because he said that about $20 billion was missing, instead of the government to investigate the matter, they refused, instead they sacked him. As God will have it, he is now the Emir of Kano and that is exactly what he wants to be.
“He has already written all the detail report on it, the incoming government will not ignore it, even though we have promised to draw a line, but $20billion is too big to ignore. This is Nigerian money and it must be investigated,” Mr. Buhari said.
A couple of weeks ago, Minister of Petroleum, Alison-Madueke was accused of seeking asylum in six countries as reported by an online media. The minister, through the Group Public Affairs General Manager of Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, NNPC, Mr. Ohi Alegbe, denied ever contemplating relocating from Nigeria.
Another that now follows suit is Special Assistant to the President on new-media, Reno Omokri. Reno who doubles as a Pastor, has now relocated to join his family in California USA, as we can confirm. He used to be a major actor on behalf of his boss on social media, especially twitter. Although it was reported that he was sidelined by the President for Obi Asika as regards some of his blunders on his twitter handle especially the online polls which he conducted before the General elections which did not favour his pay master Goodluck Jonathan.
As the D-day draws closer, Nigerians expect a lot from the incoming government spearheaded by a well-known disciplinarian General Buhari and Nigerians hope that corrupt politicians and public officers will be held accountable.
The present administration led by President Jonathan will be handing over power to Buhari on May 29. Nigerians already have high expectations from the incoming APC-led government, after 16-years of PDP rule.
Special adviser to the president on political affairs, Rufai Ahmed Alkali, has however advised the All Progressives Congress (APC) to talk less and plan more as Nigeria moves towards the handover date.
READ MORE: http://www.naij.com/434291-public-officers-flee-nigeria-for-fear-of-the-unknown.html

Presidency Says Patience Jonathan Is Not In Country

The Presidency broke its silence on the whereabouts of the First Nigeria’s Lady, Dame Patience Jonathan.
Ayo Adewuyi, media aide to the wife of the incumbent President Goodluck Jonathan, in a comment made available to reporters in Abuja, says Patience is now in Congo.
He said president’s wife is in the country to join her counterparts from Africa for the celebration of the 30th anniversary a Non-Governmental Organisation, Congo Assistance Foundation, established by the Congolese First Lady, Madam Antoinette Sassou-Nguesso.
Meanwhile, Adewuyi did not specify when Mrs. Jonathan arrived in Congo or when she is expected back in Nigeria.
Media assistant added that his principal was received on arrival by the Nigeria’s Ambassador to Congo Brazzaville, Princess ‎Onipede, in company with top Congolese executives.
Adewuyi’s statement said:, “First Lady, Dame Patience Faka Jonathan, is in Brazzaville, Republic of Congo, joining other African First Ladies for the celebration of the 30th Anniversary of Congo Assistance Foundation, an NGO of Congolese First Lady, Madam Antoinette Sassou-Nguesso.
“The Foundation, established in 1984, has engendered social action in the areas of health, education, skills acquisition in favour of indigent people of Congo.
“Dame Patience Jonathan runs similar organisation in Nigeria, the A.Aruera Reachout Foundation, which also focuses on the upliftment of women and children, the needy and imprisoned.
“The First Ladies of Benin Republic, Senegal, Mali, Tchad, Niger and Guinea Conakry are also in Brazzaville for the grand finale of the week-long programmes, during which a National Centre for Sickle Cell disease was inaugurated.
“Dame Patience Jonathan was received on arrival by Nigeria’s Ambassador to Congo Brazzaville, Princess Onipede, in company with top Congolese officials.
Dame Patience has not been seen at any public affair inside the Aso Rock, Abuja, since Jonathan lost his re-election bid in the March 28 presidential poll.
First Lady was absent during the Good Friday and Easter Sunday services held inside the Aso Villa Chapel.
Mrs. Jonathan did not also join her husband for the funeral service held in honour of his top assistant, Oronto Douglas, in Bayelsa State last Saturday.
While Patience voted together with her husband in the presidential poll in Otuoke, Bayelsa State, she stayed back in her home state, Rivers, during the April 11 governorship poll.
She had expressed concerns ahead of the polls that she would be thrown into prison if Gen. Muhammadu Buhari (retd.) won the poll.

Gov Aregbesola's Likely New Cabinet Members Unveiled

There are strong indications that most members of the previous cabinet of the Osun state governor, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, are likely to make the new cabinet thanks to their dismal performance during the governorship election last year.
It was reliably reported that the governor may appoint members of his cabinet after the swearing-in of the president-elect, Muhammadu Buhari, on May 29.
Reports emanating from the state say that most of the cabinet members have no basis at home as they were not popular in their various communities.
Most of them, after their appointments, became detached from their local base, hence there was heavy resentment against them during the election. We only thank God that we have a popular and overwhelmingly accepted candidate like Ogbeni, if not, the story could have been different,” a source told our correspondent in Osogbo.
Gov Aregbesola's Likely New Cabinet Members Unveiled
Gov Aregbesola
Investigations in the party circle in Osogbo revealed that of all the members of the previous cabinet, only about seven have a realistic chance of making the new cabinet. The seven are: Wale Bolorunduro, Commissioner for Finance, Budget and Economic Planning in the previous cabinet; Mrs Temitope Ilori, former Commissioner for Health; Arc Muyiwa Ige, ex-Commissioner for Land and Physical Planning; Sunday Akere, previous Commissioner for Information and Strategy; Ajibola Bashiru, Commissioner for Regional Integration and Special Duties in the last cabinet; Bola Ilori, ex-Special Adviser to the Governor on Environment and Alhaji Izamot who was the Special Adviser to the Governor on Health in the previous executive council.
As expected, the governor intends to bring new faces into the new cabinet with the attention focusing mainly on young, energetic and committed professionals who possess the intellect to deliver on the governor’s people-oriented programmes.
One of the new names expected in the new cabinet is Alhaji Kazeem Adio, the former secretary to the state government (SSG) in the administration of Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola,  who is expected to bring in experience and competence gathered during his term as a commissioner and SSG in the state.
Another name being touted is Hon. Lawrence Ayeni, who is bringing into the cabinet, eight-years experience as a lawmaker in Lagos.
A source in the state government disclosed that Governor Aregbesola would re-appoint few of the cabinet members in his first regime.
Another name being touted is Hon. Rotimi Makinde who was defeated in the last National Assembly election.
Also in contention is Hon. Abdullah Adeyanju Binuyo, current senior special assistant to the governor on Milliennium Development Goals.
Others being considered are; Hon. Nathaniel Agunbiade, currently a member of the House of Representatives, who lost his re-election bid in the last election to Hon. Wole Oke of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), immediate past Chairman of the state chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Elder Adelowo Adebiyi and the current Executive Secretary of Odo Otin Local Government, Tope Adejumo, has a bright chance of making the list.
It was also learnt that Adejumo has been acting as security adviser to the governor since the ouster of Barrister Amos who was reported to have had an unholy romance with Senator Iyiola Omisore and the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the last governorship election. Amos has also been accused of not delivering whenever the governor gave him assignments to give people or organisations money.
Also being considered is Micheal Oluwole Idowu, a young structural engineer who has been acting as the governor’s unofficial special adviser on works since the previous cabinet was dissolved and a current member of the Osun State House of Assembly and chairman of the Assembly Committee on Works, Hon. Ojo from Ede.
Aregbesola sought re-election for a second term on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and was declared the winner of the August 9th, 2014 election. Having satisfied the requirement of the law and scored the highest number of votes, he was returned elected for another term of four years.
READ MORE: http://www.naij.com/434360-gov-aregbesolas-likely-new-cabinet-members-unveiled.html

Buhari Promises Not To Fail Nigerians

The president-elect, Muhammadu Buhari, has assured Nigerians that the incoming government of the All Progressives Congress (APC) will not fail them.
Buhari Promises Not To Fail Nigerians
While receiving a Taraba state delegation, led by Aisha Alhassan, the APC governorship candidate, Buhari stressed that by the end of his tenure in 2019 Nigerians would be confident of a society where elections would be free, fair and credible.
Buhari’s assurance was sequel to lamentations from Senator Aisha Alhassan, who had earlier stated that she was robbed of victory at the recent gubernatorial election in the state.
Alhassan’s story took Buhari down memory lane as he encouraged the candidate by saying:
“It is a battle well fought and I am very pleased that you have taken the honourable way out. According to the Nigerian constitution, you may go to court. I was there three times and ended up in the Supreme Court.
“Sometimes, people wonder why I tried so hard. I tried so hard because it is a system I believe in. I believe that multi party democratic system is the best form of governance with a big caveat that election must be free and fair.
“Really, this is why I am in it. I was in APP, I joined partisan politics in April 2002 and on that date, at my ward, those who knew me, and have been following my career antecedent in the military, would not believe it that I will participate in partisan politics and I will not also believe it. But I found myself in it and I never turned back.
“Within one year, APP gave me the ticket. There were governors, senators and much older people than me, but all the same, I got the ticket. I lost, I was in court for 30 months. In 2007, we tried to have a limited merger and became ANPP and again, I participated and was told I lost.
“I went to court for 20 months up to the Supreme Court and I felt that my party was not fair to me. While I was in court, the leadership of the party proceeded and took two marginal ministries in late Yar’Adua’s cabinet and an Adviser. For that disgraceful behaviour by the party leadership, I left the party and we floated the CPC.
“Again, I attempted in 2011 and lost and again and I was in court for about eight months. I contested now for the fourth time under APC having successfully gone through with the merger of the three legacy parties.
“So, Aisha, don’t give up. You are younger and this is your first attempt. I contested three times and this is my fourth attempt. I hope that you succeed in court. I am impressed by the quality of Taraba people you brought here,” Buhari said.
Continuing his statement, the president-elect recollected the 2015 general elections, noting that the technology of card readers and the will of the Nigerians have redefined the electoral system in Nigerian.
“I think that 2015 will go down in Nigeria political history as a glorious year. Nigerians have deliberately understood what multiparty democracy is. But we thank God for technology, PVC and card reader and the insistence of constituencies to make sure they are used.
“However, in two political zones where they were subverted, the people wanted to vote, but they were not allowed to vote and they continued with what they used to do in their party offices or their sitting rooms, where they would write the results, go to radio house and television house and announce the result and say whoever does not accept the result should go to court.
“How many people can go to court when they are struggling to get the next day’s meal? Where will they get the millions to give to those Senior Advocates of Nigeria. I was able to do it because of the goodwill of Nigeria which again demonstrated itself this year.
“People agreed that I am not a very rich man, but I was lucky that Nigerians believe in me and they put their strength together, voted and made sure that their votes count. I say thanks to the technology. Please continue to support those among you that you feel will go and work for your state and for the country. I assure you that the government of the APC, when eventually put in place, will be a competent Nigerian government.”
Acknowledging the fact that some people even lost their lives in the process, Buhari said:
“We will never betray the people because they have risked everything. Some even lost their lives in this cause to make sure that APC succeeds and that we have a leadership in place that they trust. That is what multiparty democracy is all about.”
The president-elect also took the opportunity to explain why he became a true democrat, The Nation reports.
“I will tell you what made me a multiparty democrat. In 1991, after coming out of detention, I was sitting at home and the Soviet Union collapsed. They were the world power fighting the western world. They had more sophisticated weapons, but something happened.
“There was confusion and everybody went away. Today, there are 18 countries from the former Soviet Union. That was when I believed that multi party democratic system is a superior form of governance and that is why I joined democracy.
“We have made a big stride this year and I assure you, God willing, if we survive the next four years, Nigerians will be in a position to confidently raise their head and elect their representatives and leaders.
“They will choose those they want as their representatives from local government, states and to the centre. I will fight for free, fair and credible election because that is why I remain in politics. I thank you very much for the sacrifices you have made to make sure we succeeded,” he said.
Meanwile, Chief Emeka Anyaoku, the former secretary general of the Commonwealth, has told the president-elect that the expectations of Nigerians from the incoming government were high, urging him not to fail the people.
The ex-president, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, had earlier also stated that Nigerians passed a message to Buhari by asking for change, therefore, he must fulfil all his election promises.
READ MORE: http://www.naij.com/434224-buhari-promises-not-to-fail-nigerians.html